First, let me congratulate you on your move and the beginning of the next chapter in your life! We understand that buying a home is only half the battle, and moving can be stressful but it doesn’t have to be. The key to a smooth move is making sure you are adequately prepared! Planning ahead and organizing yourself will help you feel more relaxed and reduce the number of things you need to do on moving day.
If you are feeling overwhelmed or don’t know where to begin, this article is a great place to start. Included below are some great tips/tricks to get you started and help you prepare for your big moving day!
- Make use of a moving checklist.
- Get utilities set up prior to moving day.
- Pack an overnight bag that will give you quick access to necessities during the move.
- Purge items you don’t need or use to sell or donate.
- If you have items that you no longer need but are too valuable to give away, start selling items on Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, etc.
- Ask local or big box businesses for their used boxes.
- Clean or dust items as you pack them.
- If possible, go to your new home before moving and deep clean the bathroom and kitchen.
- Avoid putting items from different rooms in the same box.
- Take a photo of how your electronics are connected so you can remember how and where all the wires go.
- If you’re a renter, take photos of your old home after it is empty and/or your new home before moving in.
- As you dissemble furniture and other items be sure to keep all screws and hardware in a labeled plastic bag.
- Label the sides of boxes instead of the top so you can read the labels even when the boxes are stacked.
- Don’t buy groceries within two weeks of moving.
- Put heavier items on the bottoms of boxes and the lighter items on top.
- Reduce the number of boxes needed by using your baskets, hampers, and suitcases.
- Tape boxes well.
- If you have a lot of fragile or expensive valuables, hiring movers instead of asking friends to help can end up paying for itself.
- If you do hire movers make sure to read the fine print and make sure they are insured.
- Make sure you shop around for movers; it will likely save you some money.
Want more tips or a copy of a great moving checklist to help get you started? Contact us at email@example.com